Thursday, November 12, 2009

signposts

Acephalous writes with sarcastic hilarity about signposting. ("In what follows I will write about signposts.") Might be good for students to see - but they might also miss the point. Hopefully though the end would make it clear:
In the previous paragraphs I have defended the usefulness of the signpost in academic prose. The inclusion of that headline demonstrates that signposts are both useful and awesome. Now I will transition to the conclusion of this post by telling you that I am transitioning to the conclusion of this post.

And here I am at the conclusion like I told you I would be. In this conclusion I will recapitulate what I have I already proven in the paragraphs above. The words I wrote in the above paragraphs prove that people who use signposts are perverse old chestnuts who are so hot shit they can include articles about whores in anything they write and that they are awesome. I will now conclude my conclusion with the period I place at the end of this sentence.

Over the top! But might be good to show them that they need to combine signposting with real content - it's a mix.

No comments: